Are you looking for a new Garmin Forerunner GPS running watch, or interested in comparing the Garmin Forerunner range? You have come to the right place. This website has been created independently to supply you with the information you need to buy a new Garmin Forerunner GPS running watch that’s best for your training.
Why are Garmin Forerunner GPS Running Watches the Best?
Garmin is a clear market leader in developing GPS running watches. They have years of experience creating wearable technology. In 2003 Garmin created one of the first running devices with the Forerunner 101. GPS technology has some come a long way since then, and Garmin has now perfected their Forerunner range with a multitude of compact and stylish training devices.
The Garmin Forerunner Range
There is a wide range of Garmin running watches available to suit every fitness level, whether you’re a beginner or an advanced runner looking for a high precision training watch. Whatever your level or training plan there's a Garmin Forerunner running watch for you:
Running Watches with Essential Features
Ideal for beginners, part-time joggers, or runners that simply need the essentials. Casual Forerunner watches contain all the essential training features you need. These include GPS, 24/7 activity tracking, time, distance, heart rate, run/walk feature, auto pause/auto lap, personal records and customizable screens. Forerunner 25 and 35 also have connected features (smartphone notifications and LiveTrack).
Garmin Forerunner 35
Garmin Forerunner 35 is the first entry-level running watch with wrist-based heart rate, so you can measure heart rate all day long without a chest strap. It has activity tracking (steps, calories, intensity minutes), now standard in all Garmin watches.
- Elevate wrist-based heart rate
- Easy to use, small and lightweight
- Preloaded sports profiles for indoor/outdoor running, cycling and cardio
- Controls music and displays weather
- Battery: 9 days watch mode / 13hrs GPS
Garmin Forerunner 25
Garmin Forerunner 25 is a simple GPS running watch with the features you’d expect to find in an entry-level device. Forerunner 25 also has Bluetooth compatibility, so you can pair with a smartphone to receive notifications. It also wirelessly syncs with the Garmin Connect.
- Easy to use
- Small and lightweight
- Virtual Pacer
- Battery: 8 weeks watch mode / 8hrs GPS
Improved Training Features
Runners looking to improve their form and personal bests should make use of the features available on mid-range watches. Features include GLONASS for a stronger GPS signal, advanced workouts, intervals, training plans and pace alerts. Monitor your heart with either a chest strap or Garmin Elevate wrist-based heart rate. Mid-range watches can be customized with Connect IQ and paired with bike speed/cadence sensors when cycling. These watches also feature color displays and vibration alerts.
Garmin Forerunner 230
Essentially the same as Forerunner 235 but without wrist-based heart rate. Garmin Forerunner 230 can be paired with a compatible Garmin heart rate monitor chest strap to for heart rate, V02 Max and recovery advisor. The Forerunner 230 is a great option if you don’t want to run with heart rate. It’s available to buy in a variety of different colors and bundle options.
- Audio prompts
- Slim and lightweight design
- Battery: 5 weeks watch mode / 16hrs GPS
Garmin Forerunner 235
A running watch which includes essential features and Garmin Elevate wrist-based heart rate. Forerunner 235 is ideal for improving runners with 24/7 daily activity tracking. Download new data fields and watch faces from Connect IQ. Connected features include: automatic uploads to Garmin Connect, live tracking, audio prompts, smart notifications and more.
- Garmin Elevate wrist-based heart rate for 24/7 monitoring
- Audio prompts
- Slim, lightweight design
- Battery: 9 days watch mode / 11hrs GPS
Expert and Advanced Running Watches
Garmin’s most advanced dedicated running watches with detailed dynamics to monitor running form. These watches are paired with an HRM-run chest strap for detailed feedback such as stride length, cadence, ground contact time and balance, vertical oscillation and ratio.
Garmin Forerunner 620
Garmin Forerunner 620 is an advanced watch with features such as running dynamics. This includes cadence (steps per minute), vertical oscillation (energy wasted bouncing whilst running) and ground contact time.
- Customizable bright colour touchscreen
- Advanced fitness metrics: VO2 max assessment and recovery analysis
- Running Dynamics
- Virtual Partner to help you hit a target pace
- Sync with WiFi or Bluetooth to upload and share your runs
- Bike Activity Profile so you can capture your rides as well as runs
Garmin Forerunner 630
The Garmin Forerunner 630 is designed for advanced runners that want all the data. Advanced running dynamics include ground contact time balance, stride length and vertical ratio (when used with Garmin HRM-Run). 630 features new stress score, performance condition and lactate threshold.
- Tracks time, distance, pace, heart rate (with HRM strap) and calories burned
- Activity tracking and move alert
- Tracks personal records
- Smart notifications, Bluetooth auto-sync and music control
- 16 hour GPS battery life
- Workout and Training Plan features
- Lactate Threshold & Physiological metrics
- VO2 Max and Recovery Advisor
- Connect IQ customizable displays
- Audio prompts and live track
Multisports & Triathlon
These Garmin Forerunners include all of the features found in casual, improving and advanced watches plus additional activity profiles for swimming, cycling, paddle sports, trail running and more. They’re also compatible with Vector power meter pedals and Garmin Varia cycling products.
Garmin Forerunner 920XT
If you’re looking for a multisport watch that you can use for swimming, cycling and running then Garmin Forerunner 920XT is perfect. It seamlessly transitions between sports at the press of a button.
- Barometric altimeter
- Compatible with Vector power meter pedals
- Battery: 15 days in smartwatch mode / 24 hrs GPS / 40 hrs in UltraTrac
Garmin Forerunner 735XT
Garmin Forerunner 735XT is the latest running and multisport watch. It combines all features found in entry-level and advanced running watches and adds many more.
- Elevate wrist-based heart rate for 24/7 monitoring
- Additional activity profiles: rowing, paddlesports, trail running and more
- Audio prompts
- Compatible with Vector & Varia
- Intensity minutes
- Strava Live Segments and Suffer Score
- Battery: 11 days smartwatch mode / 14hrs GPS / 24hrs in UltraTrac
Garmin Forerunner – More Accurate than a Smartphone
You could be using a smartphone app already with either your phone strapped to your arm or in a pocket. However, if your phone isn’t visible you’ll have no quick indication of pace, distance, heart rate and more without stopping to look. Your smartphone isn’t waterproof so running in the rain can be a problem. Garmin running watches are waterproof and designed for running outdoors and in all weathers.
- No more stopping to get your phone out of your pocket to see how well you’re doing, with a Garmin Forerunner simply glance at your wrist to get the accurate data you need.
- Running apps drain your smartphone battery, a Garmin Forerunner battery can last 10+ hours in GPS running mode.
- Garmin Forerunner’s can also be used for multisports – see Forerunner 920XT and 735XT.
- Monitor your daily steps, calories burned, distance, heart rate and more with 24/7 activity tracking.
Independent Amazon Affiliate Website
GarminForerunner.com is an Amazon affiliate website. This means it earns a small commission from any purchases made through Amazon shop links. This has no effect on your purchase and is a way to cover the running costs of this website. It’s owned and operated independently from the Garmin company, and designed to give runners the information they need to decide which Garmin Forerunner is best for their individual running. You can read Garmin Forerunner reviews or visit the secure Garmin Forerunner online store to find out more: